Weekly musings on the arts and current events.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Guilty Pleasure

I love the paintings of Bouguereau. There, I've said it.

He's what's called an "Academic Painter", a stultifying title if ever there was one, and his style was assiduously classical, depicting the idealized beauty of young girls. He was much admired in his day, especially by rich patrons who ignored, even castigated, works of the Impressionists. However, once the world finally learned how to look at a Van Gogh, Cezanne, Monet, and the like, Bouguereau fell out favor with a thud.

I find in him a version of my own vision of perfect summer days, clothing-optional splash parties, and golden glowing afternoons eased into night by a breeze that gently blows out the last rays of the sunset.

I don't know whether Bouguereau brings out the sentimentalist or the dirty old man in me, but I love his paintings.

There, I've said it again.

Seated Nude, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 1884
Click on the picture for a closer view.

4 comments:

Paula Slade said...

Exquisite painting! Some of Bouguereau's paintings of children are among my very favorites - he had a way of capturing sweetness and youth.

DUTA said...

I like the look on her face. It's not a 'straight in the eye' sort of look , and it could say something like that:
"You may contemplate my white milky body as you please, and even comment on it - but the real Me is not there to cooperate with you. I'm shy."

TallTchr said...

She certainly has her secrets.

bouguereau lover said...

I stumbled on your blog when searching for Bouguereau

I think he's the greatest artist ever. better then Michelangelo

he painted 800 odd paintings, but only 300 are online

the best sites ive found for bouguereau's are
arteras.com
and
artrenewal.org
good but i want to know more about bouguereau
really amazing artist